the big announcement!

2.05.2014

As I mentioned yesterday, I have two big announcements to make today!:

I think the first announcement is already quite clear, but if not...

SHELL & CHINOISERIE HAS A NEW DESIGN!

For weeks now I have been working with the lovely Lisette from High Note Designs to give shell & chinoiserie a facelift. Although Lisette might beg to differ, I have been waiting as patiently as possible to reveal the new look to you all, and the time has finally arrived...

Ta-da!

I began shell & chinoiserie nine months ago today, which is quite the uncanny coincidence given the timing of the new design reveal!

Here is a screen shot of my first post from May...and of my original design, which I sketched on construction paper with colored pencils!:


shell & chinoiserie has come a long way in the past nine months, and so have I! Read on for the second big announcement, but fair warning: I'm feeling a little nostalgic today...

While bobbing in Thailand's Andaman Sea last spring, my husband and I thought a lot about our future and made the difficult decision to move back to Charleston from Boston.

Blissful Bobbing...

We laughed, we cried...and then we got wrinkly from the water, so we dried off and celebrated with "a few" fruity drinks...


When we got home from our honeymoon, I felt more mentally prepared than ever to find a house to turn into our home, but logistically we just weren't there yet, so I started shell & chinoiserie as a way to collect inspiring spaces and places, as well as document my own ideas.

Blogging from Boston!

Soon after I started shell & chinoiserie, my friend Andrea of The Glam Pad--who has been so supportive of my blog since the beginning--helped me share the news that we would be moving, as well as my plans to share our progress with you all, which I have done, so my apologies if I sound like a broken record. But bear with me just a little longer...:

After a long summer of packing and saying some really sad goodbyes, August arrived and we made the move to Charleston...


...where we have been temporarily living in my family's home on a little, boat-access barrier island. Fun, you say? Yes--very fun! Fun for a weekend. Or maybe even a week. But not for six months...


My husband's hour and fifteen-minute-long commute to work currently consists of a golf cart ride, a ferry ride (if the ferry's running), and a car ride--most of which have been cold lately! Having said that, we have loved life on our little island, and have appreciated the opportunity to live rent free and lease free while we got our feet on the ground! But boy are we are desperate to get back to society...aaand delivery pizza!

So in the fall we started house hunting, and after an emotional and exhausting three months, the roller coaster ride has come to an end...

WE FINALLY FOUND A HOUSE!:

Our New Home!

As you can see, the home is not the Lowcountry style we were originally looking for, but we fell in love with the interior the second we walked through the door and we are beyond happy with the exterior, too. And after admittedly feeling so homesick for New England throughout the fall, we actually welcome the more traditional style!

One of my favorite parts? Many of the trees surrounding the home lose their leaves in the winter, and will therefor become quite colorful in the fall! That arch window above the front door will be the new shell & chinoiserie headquarters, so I can't wait to sit and watch the seasons as I write... :)

So much transition has taken place in my life since I started shell & chinoiserie last May, and blogging has been one of the few constants in all of the chaos. That and my saint of a husband. And YOU all have seriously been my cheerleaders, so THANK YOU! Thank you for your enthusiasm, support, and advice about blogging, designing, and life along the way--it is much-needed, and much-appreciated.

I am so excited to continue to share the next phase with you all here on the new and improved shell & chinoiserie. I am also excited to share more photos of our home than you would ever want to see as we update and decorate over the next few months! But for today I will leave you with the following two photos--perhaps not the most flattering, but certainly fun considering where we were a year ago and where we are now:



17 comments:

Thehouseofhampton said...

I am absolutely extatic about your new home! You've been through a lot in the last 9 months! May you feel as happy as you did on your honeymoon in your new home! I'm so excited to go along on the adventure with you and see all of the photos.
A huge congratulations to you and your husband!
Sharon

Vel Criste said...

Wow! Congratulations Emilie!!!!! Love the new look and your new home!!! I can only imagine how fabulous this home will eventually turn out to be and we're excited to follow along your progress dear! CHEERS!!!!!

Natasha Stevens said...

Your new home looks fabulous. Can't wait to see how you decorate it! Congratulations.

Kerry Steele- Design du Monde said...

OMG! YAY! That is so awesome and you will surely have lots to blog about in the new house.

SB Hill said...

Congrats! Love your house,
Sharmin from Columbia SC

Coulda shoulda woulda said...

Congratulations! The house looks amazing and it is such an exciting time for you. Look forward to seeing the house turn into a home for you.

Nancy said...

WOW! Your blessings overflow :) I look forward to following your house transformation into your home. And the new design...you had me at the trellis background. LOVES :)

Blessings,
Nancy

My Notting Hill said...

Congratulations on your new house!! Looks wonderful.

Stacey said...

Congrats and love the house! Looking forward to all of your home posts:-)

Brandi said...

Congratulations to you and your husband. Your new house is beautiful.

The Sea Salted Blonde said...

Congrats on your beautiful new home! How exciting!! I love the New England look :) can't wait to see your home decor & projects. Love the new blog design as well!!

Sofia Martha said...

Love your new home and new design.

Sofia

Wendy C said...

What a wonderful home you'll be creating. Its a beauty! I followed the link for the low country homes. This, to us, is a colonial house. Its characteristics are timber construction, covered verandahs on anything from 1 -4 sides, tin roofs &often on stilts to catch the breezes. Our house is a timber colonial built in 1912. We're on the side of a hill so we are on ground level at the front & double storey at the back. We' ve closed in one side verandah for an ensuite & a study. I've always been a purist about authenticity & décor. Moreover 18months ago I would've said I was influenced by English décor & design.
However, my newly acquired love for HR & PB CHIC& Chinoiserie is really testing my boundaries & my décor. Such fun!
So when was your house built? Can't wait to see how you marry the traditional with the Chinoiserie et.al that you love!!

Unknown said...

Emilie, Your new blog design looks great and congrats again on your new home! Think of all the fun decorating you'll get to do!! Elle

Andrea said...

Oh, Emilie!!!!!! I am soooooo excited for you!!!! Your new home is GORGEOUS, and I simply cannot wait to follow along as you decorate! It is going to be AMAZING!!! And your blog looks FANTASTIC!!! Lisette did such a fabulous job, as always!! And thank you for the shout out... I'm so glad we have become friends thanks to the Blogosphere! :)

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

The Pink Pagoda said...

Congratulations on all of your exciting news, Emilie! The house and blog are gorgeous!!

Megan said...

Y'all are adorable! What a lovely home!!

 
Blogging tips